Lawyers and Their Skills
Law practice is so diverse that it is not possible to describe the so-called typical lawyer. Each lawyer works with different clients and different legal problems. Ordinarily, certain basic legal skills are required of all lawyers. They must know:
- how to analyze legal issues in light of the existing state of the law, the direction in which the law is headed, and relevant policy considerations;
- how to synthesize material in light of the fact that many issues are multifaceted and require the combination of diverse elements into a coherent whole;
- how to advocate the views of groups and individuals within the context of the legal system;
- how to give intelligent counsel on the law's requirements;
- how to write and speak clearly; and
- how to negotiate effectively.